How to Know if You’ve Been Exposed to Carbon Monoxide Gas

by | Jan 9, 2019 | Lawyers

On an annual basis, poisoning by carbon monoxide sends tens of thousands of people to the hospital. This type of poisoning is one of the leading causes of death in the world. The reason why is easy to understand. Carbon monoxide is a gas that’s impossible to detect. It is not visible to the human eye and is colorless, tasteless and odorless. Many people end up inhaling this gas without even knowing it. Once it reaches a sufficient level in the blood stream it begins to take over your red blood cells. This prevents your oxygen flow from arriving to the vital organs you need to survive.

Sources of Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

Carbon monoxide is found in many places in our society. The main culprit in the modern world is the internal combustion engine. Many people encounter this engine in the workplace. Diesel exhausts are a main source of this dangerous gas. It’s true that diesel engines produce less carbon monoxide than their gas counterparts. Yet, diesels are still capable of producing a deadly amount. If you work around trains, large trucks, forklifts, buses or any type of machinery that produces carbon monoxide, you need to speak to a diesel exhaust poisoning lawyer.

Know if You’ve Been Exposed to Carbon Monoxide

Carbon monoxide poisoning takes a devastating toll on your body and internal organs. The degree of injury largely depends on how much carbon monoxide enters your system. Long term exposure can also lead to serious poisoning cases. In some situations, this exposure can lead to disablement or death. However, there are some early warning signs of an unhealthy amount of exposure. Some of the signs include: drowsiness, breathing problems, vision problems, unexplained headaches and vomiting. If you notice any of these problems while working, get in touch with a diesel exhaust poisoning lawyer.

Treatment for Carbon Monoxide Poisoning

If you’ve recently been exposed to carbon monoxide, it’s important to get fresh air. It is also important to visit an emergency room for a check-up. Doctors may provide fresh oxygen for a certain period of time. They may also need to use a respirator in more serious cases. When carbon monoxide poisoning has led to neurological damage, you may have the right to sue your employer. Contact Hughes Law Offices at

Latest Articles